Our dually-accredited family medicine residency is the only physician training program in the hospital, allowing the focus of medical education to be exclusively on family medicine.
Our program, established in 1971, is one of the oldest in Pennsylvania. We have no competing residency programs in our health system allowing the focus of medical education to be exclusively on family medicine.
Beginning your first day you will be provided with a well-rounded curriculum with a blend of didactic sessions and hands-on educational experiences.
- State of the art Simulation Lab Training
- Flexibility to concentrate on special areas of interest
- A focused office experience
- Osteopathic training in hospital and office
- Night call/float
- Practice management
- Sports Medicine
- Community Medicine and Public Health
- International Health
- Women’s Health
- Community Outreach which includes homeless healthcare
Residents have the opportunity to participate in a variety of program sponsored and elective activities in these areas.
What sets apart our Osteopathic Residency?
Osteopathic residents receive training longitudinally in osteopathic principles and practices throughout all three years of residency. Teaching is provided in both the hospital and office settings on the residents own patients, as well as patients referred to the OMT clinic.
Osteopathic medicine has long been accepted at our institution and is highly regarded as a beneficial and integral part of patient care.
We provide complete training in osteopathic medicine, giving our graduates a deep understanding of how to:
- Efficiently perform OMT in both the office and the hospital
- Bill for OMT
- Incorporate the osteopathic principles and philosophy into all patient encounters
We achieve this training through:
- OMT Clinics where patients with somatic dysfunction in any body region are treated
- Workshops where faculty and residents (under faculty supervision) teach hands-on OMT skills to osteopaths and allopaths
- Mentoring where osteopathic residents help train the interested allopaths
Graduating from our program gives you lots of options!
This residency offers excellent exposure to all aspects of family medicine in an unopposed environment. The residents are very friendly and offer an instant, welcoming community. Attendings are willing and eager to teach. The program makes it easy to get a broad exposure to many problems.