One of the key components in this exciting new age is simulation.The Rice Energy Family Simulation Center provides education in a way for learners to recognize, make clinical decisions, and use real equipment to treat medical conditions that they may not experience during their clinical practice.
Mission: The mission of the Rice Energy Family Simulation Center is to provide simulation-based education in a safe learning environment.
Vision: To operate a regionally recognized, interprofessional simulation center that enriches system-wide and learner specific needs for education and training.
- Identification and promotion of patient safety
- Development of critical thinking skills through various healthcare settings and scopes of practice
- Development of professional behavior based on ethical, legal, and regulatory standards within each disciplinary scope of practice
- Mastery of clinical competence to promote quality patient care
- Development of cohesive team roles and responsibilities
- Development of self-confidence while increasing skill performance
- Utilization of therapeutic communication skills that include “speak-up”
- Collection of data to be utilized in research and process improvement changes
The Rice Energy Family Simulation Center features:
- Two universal high-fidelity adult rooms
- A universal high-fidelity pediatric room
- A universal high-fidelity obstetrics suite
- A universal high-fidelity operating room (The obstetrics suite and operating room can be converted into one large area for multi-use training.)
- A four bed low-fidelity skills lab which can be converted into a four bed high-fidelity treatment area.
- A task trainer lab
- Two debriefing rooms
The center has 14 full body simulators, including a pregnancy patient who delivers a fully-operational newborn simulator, a premature baby, a 1 year old child, a 5 year old, and a trauma patient. Additional equipment includes CPR simulators and task trainers to train on various skills such as airway management, inserting IV’s, and wound management.