Because we know there are so many benefits of breastfeeding for both mom and baby, WHS Washington Hospital’s Lactation Program promotes, encourages and supports effective breastfeeding. Our team of clinicians and educators is dedicated to setting you up for success every step of the way.
Breastfeeding / Chestfeeding Support
To ensure you do not feel alone, the WHS Breastfeeding /Chestfeeding Program serves as a resource center, providing services in the hospital before and after your delivery.
- Prenatal Breastfeeding/Chestfeeding Class: A certified lactation consultant will teach you everything you need to know to successfully feed your newborn. Register at 724-223-3173.
- Our nurses, lactation counselors and/or lactation consultant will help you learn how to properly feed during those hours and days after the birth of your baby.
- Our lactation consultant makes follow-up phone calls to all breastfeeding and chestfeeding families after you leave the hospital. They check-in and offer additional support or guidance.
- We also offer education and current breastfeeding /chestfeeding literature for patients, families, and the community.
When the people you live with and work for support your goal to breastfeed /chestfeed your baby, the experience will be more relaxed and rewarding.
We encourage you to participate in these services, as needed. Before you know it, you will be able to feed your baby with ease and reach your feeding goals.
Products and Services
We have a wide variety of products for moms who are nursing and/or pumping. Items available include:
- Harmony Breast pump
- Symphony Harmony Initiation Kit
- extra-large breast shields
- Pump In Style Advanced Breast pump
- Nipple Shells
- nipple shields
- pump tubing
- Seamless Softcup Nursing Bra
- supplemental nursing system
- lactation consultations
Feeding and the use of products that mom and baby may need can be overwhelming, an outpatient lactation consultation can help and is available for a small fee.
To schedule an appointment with the lactation consultant or to purchase products, please call (724) 250-4476. The lactation office is located on the 5th floor just off the E Wing elevators at the WHS Washington Hospital.